As I get older, I tend to favor less sweet things and that includes pastries. Have you noticed that Asian cakes and pastries are delicious without being sickeningly sweet? I enjoy that and well I need that too, gotta watch that sugar. Anyway, I drew inspiration from two different videos to make this cake – Korean and Japanese – best of both worlds!
The hack to cut parchment paper for a circular pan is insane. Do you folks know it? Believe me, it is so easy. If I can do it, you can do it. I suck at cutting circles. The way to do this is like fool proof! Refer to the Tasty Video link below with the recipe if you want to see the trick!
I gotta tell you guys, this is my second batter. I made the first one and messed it up majorly. I forgot the step to mix it for 8 minutes until the batter has thickened and like doubled in size. The cake came out flat like a pancake (hard like a hockey puck). Give me a break guys, this is the first time I made a cake from scratch (not from cake mix kine). Anyway, this is the second batter – I followed the instructions closely this time.
Yay! The cake came out perfect! I didn’t line the sides of the pan because I have a Springform pan. Ha, joke’s on me, it still stuck to the sides. Also, one of the videos instructions to cut the top part of the cake off. Like why? I guess it’s to make the pieces even? Well, I flipped the top part to be on the inside so I still get a flat top and no cake waste!
Just wanted to show you how the cake looks like inside. How’s the crumb structure? I don’t know, I just like watching Great British Bake-off a lot.
I had to make double the frosting recipe! It reflects in my written recipe. I also didn’t have the same size pan as the videos did…ugh! It’s okay, I made do. I think I whipped the cream a bit too much, it’s okay…adds texture to the cake. Just kidding, I won’t whip it as much next time, haha.
Fresh Strawberry Cake
190g Egg (4 large eggs)
13g Corn syrup
3g Vanilla extract
120g Cake flour
33g Melted unsalted butter
Whipped cream (600g whipping cream + 60g sugar)
Sugar syrup (¼ C Sugar and ¼ C Water is more than enough)
9 inch springform cake pan
- Pre-heat oven to 340°F.
- Add Eggs, Sugar, Corn Syrup and Vanilla Extract to bowl over hot water bath and whisk together until temperature of mixture hits 40°C.
- Remove bowl from hot water, use mixer to mix until fluffy (light yellow). You should be able to swirl a figure 8 and it stays for a bit (takes about 8 minutes with a hand mixer).
- Sift cake flour into batter and gently fold in.
- Melt butter and milk in the microwave until butter is melted (about 1 minute). Add a bit of batter into the butter/milk mixture and then add it to the batter.
- Line the cake pan with parchment paper, pour batter into the cake pan. Drop the pan twice from a relatively low height onto a hard surface, this helps to knock out any air bubbles.
- Place the cake pan into the preheated oven, bake for 35 – 40 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick or skewer, poke center and if the stick comes out clean, it’s done!
- Cut fresh strawberries into a small dice, whip the heavy whipping cream and sugar together until it reaches a stiff peak (about 5 minutes). Combine with diced strawberries.
- Let the cake cool after baking, cut the cake into two pieces (two layers) right before you are ready to frost it.
- Apply sugar syrup to the first layer of the cake. Add frosting.
- Place the second layer of the cake (brown or top side down – I was too lazy to cut the top part off but you can), add sugar syrup to the second layer of cake. Frost the top and sides of the cake.
- Decorate with fresh strawberries and blueberries on top to your liking!
looks absolutely yummy! Don’t like baking, especially cookies so kudos to you for doing a scratch cake.
BTW, I went to Bob’s yesterday and loved the baked beans/polish sausage. Only thing was I thought there were 2 pieces of sausage and a tad disappointed to turn them over to find only one that was cut in half (shows what an oinker I am). Teri cheese burger was good too!
Thank you! I’m already planning my next bake since I still have cake flour and milk haha
Omg I was waiting for your verdict on Bobs! Oh yes I should have mentioned it’s only one polish hot dog. Was disappointed too cause the plate is not cheap, should give two hot dogs. But it’s still good haha. So glad you enjoyed!!! How was parking?
parking was good. Yesterday around 11:45. I was expecting to wait even for a phone order.
I asked guy what happed to the oyster burger and he said sorry no more. Ahhh, the shrimp one was better anyway.
Okay, this is what an oinker I am but I been thinking about the polish hot dog in the plate and actually now wonder if they only give us HALF A POLISH DOG? Cause the hot dog is cut in half both ways?? Are polish dogs super expensive or something??
this cake looks so good!
Thank you kat! It was!!
Looks so nice!!!